November 17, 2020
The Main Street Idea Pitch is a downtown revitalization idea competition typically held during Virginia Main Street’s Downtown Intersections conference. The competition is a chance to flex your chops presenting an idea to a potential donor and actually be awarded $5,000 to implement the project! Due to public health considerations, the 2020 Main Street Idea Pitch competition will be a virtual event on the morning of November 17 and will culminate with the winner announcement shortly after. More information is found below.
The Main Street Idea Pitch is geared towards stimulating the Virginia Main Street network of communities and professionals to craft imaginative Main Street project ideas. Projects should:
- Connect to the community’s vision to create vibrant, people-centered places to live, work and invest.
- Support the any of the four key areas Main Street programs have been using as a guiding framework for over 35 years: economic vitality, effective promotion, quality design and sustainable organization.
- Focus on highly visible changes, measuring progress, and results that demonstrate the revitalization effort is under way and succeeding.
Potential project ideas can include, but are not limited to:
- Nonprofit organizational development
- Market studies and strategy development
- Downtown organization website development
- Design and place-making projects
- Entrepreneur support programs
- Buy local and extended store hours programs