As a 2021 Community Business Launch (CBL) grantee, Downtown Blackstone, Inc. (DBI), hosted its business launch pitch night on July 7, 2021, and eight entrepreneurs pitched their start up business / expansion ideas to a panel of expert judges. Five prize winners were named the following week!
A prize pool, totaling $46,000 in cash awards, was distributed to:
- Liberty Hollow Sweets (chocolatier) | $25,000
- In Depth Productions (photographer / videographer) | $15,000
- RV Mom in Pink (maker of resin items) | $3,000
- Smiles N’ Gigglez (indoor children’s party venue) | $2,000
- TaaDaa the Bakery (expanding existing business) | $1,000
“DBI board members are pleased with the results, and we expect that these businesses will open in the historic business district by the end of September, plus the possibility of others opening who did not receive funding or directly participate in the classes. It has been an enriching experience to work with these entrepreneurs, who became a very close-knit group, and to realize the goals of the CBL program and Blackstone’s local Main Street program!” – Justin Sarafin, Executive Director, Downtown Blackstone, Inc.
Over the next few months, DBI and Longwood SBDC will assist the businesses with troubleshooting any issues that arise as businesses work toward opening in Downtown Blackstone!
Top Row (left to right)
- Jan Daniel (TaaDaa the Bakery)
- Tempie Walton-Berry (Smiles N’ Gigglez)
- Carl Bassfield (In-Depth Productions)
- Emma Rixmann (Olive Branch Consulting)
- Jeannie (Liberty Hollow Sweets)
Bottom Row (left to right)
- Farris Jarrar (Cypress Tiny Homes)
- Ally (RV Mom in Pink)
- Stephanie Smith (Out of the Box Enrichment)