Our guest blogger is Downtown Lynchburg Association Executive Director Ashley Kershner.
Lynchburg is beyond excited to host the 2019 Virginia Main Street Downtown Intersections. Downtown Lynchburg is a vibrant, charming locale studded with unique and creative local businesses. We hope that while you’re here to visit, you’ll have the opportunity to experience all that downtown has to offer.
Downtown Lynchburg has seen incredible growth and positive change in the past five years, from the reopening of the Virginian Hotel, to the restoration of the Historic Academy of Music Theatre, to the addition of over twenty new restaurants. We are on the verge of becoming a major urban hub, and you will see that potential and feel the change in the air as you tour the district.
During your stay, we invite you to explore. Through the conference, you will already be visiting the beautiful Skyline Grill, downtown’s only rooftop dining experience, and The Water Dog, our go-to craft beer and oyster hub. However, we invite you to take some time to visit some of the other fantastic restaurants, shops, and attractions that make Lynchburg unique.
We’ve comprised a little guide to downtown Lynchburg to help you make the most of your stay.
THE COFFEE LOVER
If you live for the brew, downtown Lynchburg is the place for you. We have numerous phenomenal coffee shops that are sure to deliver you the very best cup of joe.
- Dublin 3– 1001 Jefferson St. – This cozy coffee shop offers not only cold brew and kombucha on tap as well as pour-overs, but on Tuesdays, cappuccinos are only $2!
- The White Hart Cafe– 1208 Main St. – Delicious coffee roasted on site and a bangin’ breakfast menu.
- Café Bliss– 828 Main St. – Nestled beside the Bank of the James, this hole-in-the-wall cafe offers house made bakery items and coffee from Nelson County’s Trager Brothers.
THE WINE/BEER/COCKTAIL CONNOISSEUR
After a long day of meetings and seminars, what better way to unwind than a drink with friends? The below restaurants boast fantastic bars and views of downtown Lynchburg to boot.
- Bootleggers- 50 13th St. – Huge bourbon and whiskey selection, burgers the size of your head, and happy hour Monday-Thursday 4-6:30.
- El Jéfe Taqueria– 1214 Commerce St. – The house margarita with fresh lime is worth the trip alone. But check out their full cocktail list for all kinds of tequila goodness.
- RA BIstro – 1344 Main St. – Stop here for Martini Monday and Tap Out Tuesday!
For those of you with a special appreciation for the unique, the following gems are sure to satisfy your craving for novelty.
- Urbavore- 1103 Church St. – Entirely plant-based, this vegan comfort food nook will blow you away with their unbelievable takes on American classics, such as burgers, mac ‘n cheese, and donuts! Closed Mondays so check them out on Tuesday.
- Oxide Pottery– 1337 Main St. – This is your stop for stunning handbuilt and wheel thrown ceramics. They also carry jewelry.
- Speakertree– 901 Jefferson St. – Speakertree is a treasure trove of new/used vinyls, 45s, cassettes, and CDs. Inside, you’ll also find Backline Coffee that offers espresso, mocktails, kombucha, and Chill City Pops
Whether you’re an avid antiquer or a boutique-lover, downtown Lynchburg offers adorable shops you’re sure to love.
- Live Trendy or Die– 1101 Church St. – This boutique offers unique, affordable clothing and accessories, as well as an absolutely delicious selection of vintage.
- Buzzard’s Roost– 718 Commerce St. – This antique shop is bursting at the seams with beautiful antique pieces from furniture to small artifacts)
- Beeswax Candle Co.– 109 13th St. – 100% pure domestic beeswax aromatherapy candles…*sigh*.
For the adventurer among you, we have some exciting spots that you’re sure to enjoy.
- Blackwater Creek Trail and Percival’s Island – Explore Lynchburg’s beautiful trail system with entrances right in Downtown. (map linked)
- Rise Up Climbing– 1225 Church St. – Save 25% off day passes, rental gear, and belay instruction with the Early Bird Special Monday-Fridays before 1pm.
- Bikes Unlimited– 1312 Jefferson St. – Stop to shop or join them for Pints after Pedals: at 6pm, then stop by The Water Dog for drinks after!
We hope that you thoroughly enjoy your stay in downtown Lynchburg and catch a glimpse of the beautiful town we call home. We are so happy you could be here.